There are orphans among us, and they are called foster children. These are the children who have been removed from their parents due to abuse or neglect. The reasons are many, but the result is often the same, a child that needs to be cared for.
- Ø 4,000 foster children in the city of Riverside
- Ø 50,000 foster children in Southern California
- Ø 50% of foster youth will not graduate from high school
- Ø 70% of foster youth will be homeless, on drugs, incarcerated, or dead
- Ø 58,000 calls of abuse and neglect made to Child Protective Services yearly
There are over forty scriptures that speak the Christian community as to its responsibility in meeting the needs of these children. Too often, our churches have not heeded these callings and have turned the responsibility of caring for these children over to others. This is why we walk.